Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Things I learned from Cindy ... Well received!

My dear friend Cindy has been living in Heaven with Jesus for over 3 months … I still can’t believe it! I learned so much from her life here on Earth … I do regret not telling her these things while she was here … the LORD is trying to teach me to be an encourager and one thing I’ve learned is to tell people more often how they are blessing my life so I am using this venue to “tell” Cindy…

Cindy was one of the best “receivers” I’ve ever known. She delighted in a surprise. I do so poorly at remembering to get gifts for special occasions and it dawned on me one Sunday that Cindy had just graduated from college. She went back to college as a mom, just like I had done several years earlier, so she was special to me, and I forgot to get her a gift! UGUGGGGHHHH! But I quickly recovered and offered to take her family out to eat after church one Sunday night. I still felt pretty lame but wanted to do something. She was thrilled and told me how much she loved surprises. Not a lot of “oh, you shouldn’t have” or “that’s is too much” or anything like that. She appreciated the gesture and used her gorgeous smile to let me know. I’ve never forgotten how good she made me feel by accepting my surprise with such genuine delight.

She was sick awhile before she left us and people wanted to help her. I remember one time a mutual friend said she was coming from town, was there anything Cindy needed ... Cindy replied with an order for a fish dinner she loved. Of course our friend was so happy to get Cindy something she liked. I admired Cindy because she was willing to accept the gift and bless the giver by allowing her to give. Others gave her certificates for the ice cream she loved; she just beamed telling me about it. There were so many more that gave to Cindy. She received each gift and act of kindness with such graciousness that it just blessed your socks off to give her something or do something for her.

She was such a good giver that I never expected her to receive so well. Many with a giving spirit are hard pressed to receive. I have learned through Cindy and others that we steal people’s joy when we don’t allow them to do what God has called them to do. We should be generous in giving and receiving …

Not that I seek or am eager for [your] gift, but I do seek and am eager for the fruit which increases to your credit [the harvest of blessing that is accumulating to your account]. But I have [your full payment] and more; I have everything I need and am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent me. [They are the] fragrant odor of an offering and sacrifice which God welcomes and in which He delights. And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:17-19 Amplified Bible)

Jesus was such a giver and still is but I truly love the example He gave us when He was a receiver …

Now when Jesus came back to Bethany and was in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came up to Him with an alabaster flask of very precious perfume, and she poured it on His head as He reclined at table. And when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, For what purpose is all this waste? For this perfume might have been sold for a large sum and the money given to the poor.

But Jesus, fully aware of this, said to them, Why do you bother the woman? She has done a noble (praiseworthy and beautiful) thing to Me. For you always have the poor among you, but you will not always have Me. In pouring this perfume on My body she has done something to prepare Me for My burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this good news (the Gospel) is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will be told also, in memory of her.
(Matthew 26:6-13, Amplified)

Lord, You are the great Giver and I am the grateful receiver. Please forgive me when I have not received well, Your gifts or the gifts of others. Thank You for the gift of Cindy; it sure seemed short to me but I know Your time line is just not mine. I do appreciate the memories, Lord, You are gracious to let us keep those sweet times in fond memory until Eternity. Thank You for Your examples of giving and receiving. May I bless others by doing both in Your Name. Amen.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Judy you blessed me so much with this message. I enjoy all your blogs. You have a gift. May God bless you richly.
Love Angie

Unknown said...

Judy, I was blessed so much by your blog. I enjoy all your blogs so much. May God bless you Richly!
Love Angie

Claudia Barone said...

PectlHi Judi! I always enjoy your writings - God really uses you to bring to light something I really need to hear. Thank you for being so honest, teaching me to do the same with others as well as with our Lord Jesus. Love you, Claudia

Anonymous said...

I think the older I get the more I am so pleasantly surprised when someone gives me something. We become so accustomed to giving, especially being a pastor's wife, that receiving can be such a blessing when you see the expression of the giver's face. It doesn't have to be something of great monetary value just the kindness that you feel from the giver is enough.
Janet

Barbara said...

Judi, you always bless me with your
messages. I fail so much in giving and it is not I don't think about it, but that gets me nowhere. Judi, I think the most surprising blessing I ever received was after we had moved into our home on the farm. To my surprise all you women from church came....OH was I surprised. And truly that is one blessing I will always cherish.
I love and you are in my prayers,
Barbara

Mimi said...

Thanks to everyone; my prayer is always that the LORD can use my ramblings to bless others ... you all are so sweet to leave a comment ... love to all!