Monday, March 23, 2009

Run, Run, Fast as You Can!

I love it when Jesus describes Himself as a Shepherd. I can feel Him lifting me in His arms and gently carrying me away from danger. Prayerfully, I don't continue to rebel to the point He has to break my leg!

As I was reading about the Shepherd in John 10, I was compelled to contemplate about verses 4-5:

When He has brought His own sheep outside, He walks on before them, and the sheep follow Him because they know His voice. They will never [on any account] follow a stranger, but will run away from him because they do not know the voice of strangers or recognize their call. (Amplified)

It saddened me to know that many times I have listened to the "stranger," the very enemy of my soul and the enemy of all who are God's own sheep. However, I do rejoice that the longer I serve the Shepherd, the more I recognize His voice and direction.

But the part that struck me was "...will run away from him..." Do I really "run" when I hear the enemy's voice, direction, lies, etc. or do I take a few moments to contemplate, debate.... Wow! You know it brings to mind that other scripture, "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7 NIV)

So... I should be running from the stranger, submitting to God, then the stranger will run from me - WOO HOO!! I'm putting on my running shoes because...

The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows). John 10:10, AMP

Lord Jesus,
Thank You that You are indeed the wise, compassionate Shepherd. Thank You that I can trust You to act only for my good. Please forgive me for listening to the stranger, the enemy of my soul, who only works for my defeat. May I rejoice in, love and cling to Your voice in every situation remembering that there is NO darkness in You, ever.

No comments: