Friday, March 27, 2009

Um, that's a little embarrassing, Lord!

Ever had the Lord ask you to do something embarrassing? Mary and Martha did. Their brother, Lazarus had died. Jesus showed up four days later. They knew if He had been there, their brother would not have died. He wept (remember, shortest verse in the Bible - John 11:35) . We don't really know why He cried, some say out of compassion for the grief of the sisters. Maybe so for a few scriptures later it records He was deeply sighing and disquieted as He neared the tomb where they laid Lazarus. But then He gives this command,

...Take away the stone. Martha, the sister of the dead man, exclaimed, But Lord, by this time he [is decaying and] throws off an offensive odor, for he has been dead four days! Jesus said to her, "Did I not tell you and promise you that if you would believe and rely on Me, you would see the glory of God?" John 11: 39-40 AMPLIFIED

Okay, I'm just sure I would have exclaimed also! I really love the way the King James version records, Lord, He stinketh! And I bet he did, remember that is kind of desert region over there? Perfume doesn't work that long!

But Mary and Martha finally did what He asked and the rest of the story was the biggest miracle Jesus had performed up until that time - Lazarus was brought back to life!!

Wonder what is waiting out there for me because I won't do the seemingly silly, embarrassing, unthinkable, distasteful thing Jesus is asking me to do? Is He asking me to turn around and help someone, pick up clothes off the sales floor that I didn't let drop (not my job, Lord, besides, it's job security for someone else), ask someone to church, tell someone about Him, go where I don't want to go, do what I don't want to do, and on and on it goes. Yeah, and I complain right along with Martha, you know, trying to tell the Creator of the Universe, what He already knows? Talk about silly.

Lord Jesus,
I praise You for knowing all things. Thank You that nothing is silly or wasted in Your kingdom. Thank You that Your timing is always right on time. You are never late; You are never early. Forgive me for fretting, fuming, spewing, worrying and making excuses. I pray for the boldness to be obedient while I am waiting on my huge miracle!

No comments: