Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sandy Shores


My family and I were blessed to have a short vacation at Destin Beach earlier this summer and I, oh, so badly, want to go back...not necessarily there...but to a beach somewhere...for awhile. Sigh, guess real life takes over and most of us can't live that dream life. But recently I was reading a scripture about sand...

Do you not fear and reverence Me? says the Lord. Do you not tremble before Me? I placed the sand for the boundary of the sea, a perpetual barrier beyond which it cannot pass and by an everlasting ordinance beyond which it cannot go? And though the waves of the sea toss and shake themselves, yet they cannot prevail [against the feeble grains of sand which God has ordained by nature to be sufficient for His purpose]; though [the billows] roar, yet they cannot pass over that [barrier]. [Is not such a God to be reverently feared and worshiped?] Jeremiah 5:22

And I'm thinking," Wow!" Do you ever gaze across the ocean or big body of water and think, "Wow, what an amazing God we have?" To think He created all of this and we get to enjoy it?

But what about the sand? Usually I like it for a few minutes and then it gets irritating, trying to get it off of you, out of your clothes and shoes, off your little ones, etc.? It is in the car, in the hotel room, in your hair, everywhere! You'd think there wouldn't be much sand on the beach anymore with all that we seem to cart off with us!

But this scripture, penned so many years ago, lets us know the real purpose for the sand: it's the boundary for the sea, an everlasting ordinance, so it will always be there, telling the sea how far it can go. Sure, the sea sometimes go over its "boundary" in floods, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. but it ALWAYS retreats back to its boundaries.

So...doesn't "Mother Nature" truly teach us that there is an awesome, almighty Creator God? I think it does. We can call it by many names, but ultimately and truly, it is GOD!

And think about some of this verse ~ the waves toss and shake, the billows roar and yet they cannot ultimately prevail against the feeble grains of sand that are doing just what they were created to do. So when things are crashing around us, shaking and roaring, we can rest assured that they will not prevail. We may feel flooded and swamped, but it will pass. GOD has set boundaries in our lives too and the enemy cannot prevail against them! Even if our boundaries seem "feeble," remember the sand, how tiny, but, oh, so capable of doing just what our GOD created it to do!

Dear Creator God,

Thank You for the witness of the sea and sand. Thank You that everything is within Your control from the boundaries that You have set. I do stand in awe and amazement of You as I look upon the sea and the sand. You are a God to be reverently feared and worshiped!! Forgive me when I have feared the roll of the waves, when I have not had faith that YOUR boundaries are in place in my life. Today, I choose to trust YOUR boundaries and YOUR good plan for my life. Thank You for the sand!

No comments: