Friday, August 21, 2009

Roller Coaster, ugh!


I recently celebrated my 30th Anniversary to my dear hubby and what a thrilling ride it has been, much like a roller coaster (although I hate roller coasters!) I like the beach, plain, beautiful, flat, nothing up and down, peaceful, quiet (if most of the other folks would leave LOL!) But the good Lord has not allowed my life to be a beach but a roller coaster, screamingly exciting at times, terrifying, fun, blessed, heart wrenching, etc. Ups and downs, ins and outs ... through my roughest trial, definitely a downhill, scary ride, the verses the LORD used to sustain me were Isaiah 43...

BUT NOW [in spite of past judgments for Israel's sins], thus says the Lord, He Who created you, O Jacob, and He Who formed you, O Israel: Fear not, for I have redeemed you [ransomed you by paying a price instead of leaving you captives]; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior ... Because you are precious in My sight and honored, and because I love you, I will give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life.

When I was about 15 my mother and her sister took us kids to Atlanta, GA, to Six Flags. My older cousin and I got on the Great American Scream Machine and about midway through the ride I promised the LORD if He would get me off safely, I would never get on another roller coaster! So , see I am not comfortable on one. Likewise, I do not like the roller coaster ride of my life ... I don't like going through anything ... I just want the gentle peace of a beach ...

But God knows I need the roller coaster, else I would probably fall asleep, get sunburned and be worthless after a few days. But boy, going "through" is difficult, no jump overs, no free rides, no detours, no by-passes, just going through!

The promises are so true ... "You are Mine ... I will be with you ... they (waves) will not overwhelm you, you will not be burned or scorched ... because you are precious in My sight ..." So I have survived and continue to survive these roller coasters of life because of the promises. The LORD is truly there with me. And then there are some blessed "beach" times in my life and because of the roller coasters, I sure do appreciate them!

Now I am working on ...

"Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort or fall into various temptations. Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience." James 1: 2-3

Not quite sure I am at the wholly joyful stage yet....

LORD, Thank You that You are the Master Architect and know exactly what I need when. Forgive my distrust in You although You have proven Yourself so many times to be Faithful and True. Forgive me for trying to work through the roller coasters of life on my own; I truly need You to go through with me. I love You and am amazed that You call me Yours and I am precious in Your sight. May I be wholly joyful in whatever You set before me even though that is hard, LORD. And thank You so much for allowing some "beach" time in my life!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that Isaiah say when you go "through"... that means we want stay in the waters or the fire, but are onlypassing through even though at the time it seems like it is going forever. I too am still working on the joy part of trials and tribulations!!
Thanks for sharing